Monday, March 29, 2010

Comm 150 conflict rituals

Nathan Sardoni
Sister Embree
Communications 150


Conflicts Rituals.
This assignment has really taken me a while to complete because I didn’t really understand what my own conflict rituals are. I am not a person who look forwards to conflict but I do not shy away from it either so figuring out my own conflict rituals has been an interesting experience. I have decided that in most relationships have the behavior ritual of stating what I think or feel even if I know the other person may not want to hear. I have been called brutally honest by many of my close friends and family. I don’t really like this title but when I sit down and think about my actions then yeah I am a little to honest. I have since learned from this class in fact that there are many times when things don’t have and ought not to be said.
With my regular behavior now established I have had many conflicts with people in life. Over the last few years these conflicts have become almost non existent because of my new conflict rituals that quickly deal with rising conflicts. Earlier in life I was a huge competitor in everything I did and conflict was the same way. A few years ago when a conflict would arise I would almost always get into a screaming match which got me and whoever I was with never got anything done. Now I before I start to get competitive I always try to get the other persons point of view. Listening to people is really hard for me especially when they really want to let me know how wrong I have been but even with that said I have still found a way to get the other persons point of view.
Another conflict ritual I have is when conflicts do arise I try to get as emotionally detached as possible. I find that this ritual on occasion does not help the conflicts go away. When I get into a conflict with a young female peer this ritual is one of the worst things to do. It seems to me that in situations were the other party wants to know what you are feeling and then you go and get emotionally detached can be very detrimental to your side of the conflict. In other situations like getting into a conflict with a young male peer this ritual works really well.
I find that many of my conflict rituals change but that I still remain the same. My personality is much harder to change but I have and continue to change my conflict rituals to fit those I am around to try and steer away from devastating conflicts. No one likes losing a conflict and earlier in life I would have fought tooth and nail not to but now I find that I can let many would be conflicts go.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Chris please don't kill a deer